Doesn’t sound great, does it? That was my thought anyway, but the ingredients were healthy and I needed to use up a few things in my fridge, and YUM! We were surprised. This is a KEEPER! Although I will double the recipe next time so we have leftovers.
- olive oil
- 1 lb ground turkey (or chicken)
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 large onion
- 2 cups kale – stemmed and chopped
- 4 green onions- separate the lighter and dark parts
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 1 small jalepeno
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 15 oz. can cannelini beans – drained and rinsed
- 2 tsp yellow cornmeal
- in a large pot, hear some olive oil over med-high heat. Add the next 5 ingredients. brown the turkey til no longer pink. remove to a plate and set aside.
- in the same pot, add a little more oil, saute onion, kale, light parts of green onion, celery, jalepeno and garlic until softened.
- stir in turkey, beans, broth, and cornmeal. bring to a simmer and stir. the longer you simmer, the better it tastes.
- serve with avocado, sour cream, green onion, and tortilla chips.
*Adapted from Clean Eating, April 2016, and the bulletin at Forest Hill Church.