The Mediterranean diet emphasizes:
- Eating primarily plant-based foods, such as fruits and vegetables, whole grains, legumes and nuts
- Replacing butter with healthy fats, such as olive oil
- Using herbs and spices instead of salt to flavor foods
- Limiting red meat to no more than a few times a month
- Eating fish and poultry at least twice a week
- Drinking red wine in moderation (optional — and NOT during boot camp!)
The diet also recognizes the importance of being physically active, and enjoying meals with family and friends.
To read more about the mediterranean way, click here, or google it. It is the #1 doctor recommended way to eat.
Let’s choose to focus on the fruits and vegetables at EVERY meal. Yes, every. I read recently a good goal is to try to have one smoothie and one salad per day. I couldn’t agree more! Check back about 3 posts ago for green smoothie recipes. I am also going to add them to the menu on the left.
While we focus on that, I would LOVE it if you could agree to no sugar and no alcohol during the week that you are doing boot camp.
Please continue as we have in the past – we eat nothing out of a package. If we do open a package, it would be for quinoa or brown rice. (with no sugar added if it’s flavored – flavor must come from spices)